You are probably sick of hearing about my job. Yes, it's awesome and yes, I love it and yes, I still don't know how I got this lucky. I can even blame it for my lack of posts lately - you know, since I wake up early, fly in a modified, experimental Chinook for 5 hours, and then process some data.
I never dreamed that I would have this opportunity when I started college in 2005. I never dreamed that I would get to experience engineering in such a hands-on way. It was almost exactly a year ago that I was taking my final final (haha), turning in my reports and packing up my stuff to move to Huntsville. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, and I'm glad, because it would have been extremely hard to focus on my studies while fighting off the excitement. So, what have I learned since graduating a year ago? Well, here are a few things:
1) I have learned that moving 1600 miles from home is hard. It makes you grow up, sometimes painfully. It makes "home" much more special.
2) I have learned that Chuckwagon BBQ is the bomb.
3) I have learned that I hate vacuuming. There, I said it. It sucks, literally.
4) I have learned that living in the shadow of the Saturn V never gets old. I still stare at it when I come home from work. I still marvel at it's engineering awesome-ness. I still think it's one of the coolest things I have ever seen.
5) I have learned that flightsuits are not the most ideal outfit for us ladies. Going to the restroom is a difficult task...still working on that one.
6) I have learned that sometimes I need to speak up and sometimes I need to shut up.
7) I have learned improved methods to keep warm while flying in a Chinook, close to the ground, with the windows open, while flying at 110 kts, in 40-degree weather. One word: bulkpackagesofthosehandwarmerthingiesfromCostco.
8) I have learned to love mail (well, the non-bill kind ;-).
9) I have learned not to try to beat the boys, but to join the boys. They aren't that bad, just stinky and grumpy, that's all.
10) I have learned that I have a lot left to learn.
11) I have learned that I am not scared in a Chinook at zero-g. [I definitely thought I would be]
12) I have learned that work is more fun when you throw foamy balls at each other over the cube walls.
13) I have learned that a lot of the guys at work read this here blog on a semi-regular basis.
14) Therefore, I have learned not to post anything TOO embarrassing.
15) I have learned to try new things more often.
16) I have learned that there really are printers like the one in Office Space (our division has 2!).
17) I have learned that mom and dad are only a call away (or a Skype session away!).
18) I have learned that I am obsessed with fireworks. Seriously Arizona? Why did you force me to live my entire childhood without them?!
19) I have learned that there exists many fellow nerdies, like those ones standing next to the Chinook, gazing at the Antonov loading a rocket booster and chatting about how The Right Stuff was on last night. You know who you are.
20) I have learned that I am one lucky sunofagun.
So there you have it. A year can teach you a lot.
Nerdy April Out.