Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Diabetes Transportation System DTS-T1

I was looking forward to the Space Shuttle launch on Monday, then it was pushed to Wednesday and now it is scheduled for Thursday due to several electrical issues from a main engine computer controller. Ironically, our little MH-47G (due to start testing on Monday originally) has been having it's own issues and it is still unclear exactly when we will start testing. And all of this uncertainty, schedule changes, and issue-working reminds me of my little friend Diabetes [come on, you knew that was coming :-)].

Even with hard work, super awesome bolusing skills [check out Holly's blog today, the number crunching is very impressive] and constant blood sugar checks, Diabetes can still be unpredictable, necessitate schedule changes, and cause the carrier to work through the issues. I have been lucky today, even after a late-night cocktail last night, I woke up this morning at 112, and before lunch I was an amazing 113. I love being steady like that, cruising along with hardly any blips.

Unfortunately, much like the Space Shuttle and our testing efforts, Diabetes does not always cruise along smoothly. It is a constant struggle between food, exercise, insulin, test strips, sites, math, carbs, fat, protein, alcohol, and activity. [I'm sure I left something out!] I have found the best way to deal with all of these factors, is to do the best you can, react with action when necessary, and be flexible. Sometimes this philosophy is easier to implement and sometimes it is extremely difficult.
Godspeed STS-133 tomorrow [carrying Express Logistics Carrier-4 to the International Space Station]; Godspeed MH-47G testing, whenever you start [equipped with some cool new hardware]; and Godspeed Nerdy April [equipped with Type 1 Diabetes] 24/7/365!!